Tuesday, January 26, 2010

lucy's little nook

last summer we moved lucy out of her crib and in with trey so they could share a room.
she needed a bed...

i couldn't find one that i liked, and i didn't want to spend a ton of money one.
so i did the only thing i could, headed to home depot and bought some wood and paint.
when my husband got home from work i was unloading the wood out my car.
i gave him a "i really hope you are in a good mood and will jump on board with me on this" kind of look. he see's that look more than he wants.

"so what are you up to now?" he asks.

"will you help me make a bed for lucy?" i say with hopeful eyes.

when i can get my husband on board, i know the project will be finished within a couple of hours. he is a maniac when it comes to getting things done he puts his mind to.
i haven't quite figured out how to get his mind on doing the dishes but whatever.

he said "sure" with a smile and i knew we would have a bed by dark.

my husband sanded and cut, while the kids and i painted.
it has been finished for awhile, but i kept wanting to do more with my lu's little nook. i just got tired of waiting so here is the finished product!

the canopy is from ikea. it hung over her crib ever since she was a baby so we just moved it on over.



remember this night stand?
see the before and after here.
i got it right off the front porch of trey's old preschool teacher.
it had been sitting there for months when i finally couldn't stand it anymore and asked her what she was going to do with it.



her bed and night stand just happened to fit perfectly in this nook.
we are talking by about 1/4 of an inch!



i had this shade of green in mind for her bed.
when i saw it, it sang to me and i knew it was perfect.

i think i may have jumped up and down a bit while standing by the paint wall choosing my paint card. no one can really know for sure...except for maybe the paint guy behind the counter.

i like to call it "cottage green"
but it is really just called "garden spot" by behr.




she loves her little bed. she sits on her bed with her friends and they close the canopy while reading books or doing each others hair.



all these items are from goodwill. i just repainted them.
except for the bunny. i made that myself.



uhh is that picture crooked. oh well.


I am linking to "A Soft Place to Land," & "Todays Creative Blog."

31 comments:

3 Little Chicks said...

I love the bed and nightstand. My little girl's room is pink and green too. Precious

Anonymous said...

What a special bed! I love the night stand color. What color is it?

Stephanie said...

rock on Mr. Smith! Gotta love a man that can get the job done! I love the nook - every girl needs a nook!

Megan Marie said...

adore! Best color scheme EVER.

Tiffany said...

So cute! I want to make my little girl a bed now! And I'm also wondering how you get your kids to have such a clean room! Maybe my kids are just really messy! :)

Janas Bananas said...

Enough of the awesomeness already!! Actually I am just kidding, I love the awesomeness, I think I am going to start telling people we are twins...

Mandi said...

So I wanna know... how much to make the bed?? Oh and is it a twin size or does it fit the crib mattress? I love all of your ideas!!!!!!!!

Abby said...

i just keep thinking of how fun it must be to have a mommy like you.

Raychel said...

Yes the color should be called "Cottage Green". I love the colors :) Great work!

Raychel

Tonya said...

WAAAAYY CUTE! Can I get you to come to my house and help me decorate!?! You are so talented and a have a great "eye" for things. Thanks for sharing!

Tara said...

What a perfect lil nook for your angel. I LOVE the Cottage Green. Such a cheerful and happy shade. Thanks for sharing!

Gillian said...

Ummm.... that crooked pic is ADORABLE!!! Great room and fab colors!

Mari said...

Is there a secret school for Husbands that teaches them that look?!
Job well done to the whole family...it looks perfect and what a special little space.

The Oxford Family said...

I would also like to learn "the look" :) very cute nook! How does the room sharing go? Husband and I are thinking of trying again but so many people bring up boy/girl room sharing. I am guessing it's not that big of a deal but find it odd people keep mentioning it to us?

SkinnyMeg said...

Wow you are so talented! The bed looks amazing. You have a great hubby to help you, I have to bribe mine!

Jinny Newlin said...

Too cute, Tanya! I wish my husband was a do it until it's done kind of guy... How do you teach that?

Rachel said...

This is definitely my new favorite blog! You are so talented-- I want to be just like you! Thanks for my headband; I am just loving it!! :)

Heather said...

Oh that green is just delicious! (I am using that word much too often these days, bother)

Where is the print in the frame from? I just adore it. I don't have little 'uns anymore but I still love that young feel. It could be cute in my bathroom in the WC.

And the dollie bunny?! TO DIE FOR! Do you accept commissions?

greenbean said...

my man is the same way.. i love when he gets on board with me on something.. i have to show him this bed.. if he isn't up to it, i may enlist my brother in law who makes custom furniture for a living.. that bed is absolutely adorable. and the nook is great.. love it all.. great job mama.

The Blandon's said...

Super cute, I love the colors used!

The Jen said...

Okay you have inspired me. I was just looking on craiglist for bunkbeds and saw nothing, I repeat, nothing I like. I don't want to spend a ton either and Luke keeps begging me to make them ourselves. I will be happy to report to him that Tanya has save his day. Thanks for the motivation. I love Lucy's corner!

~MeLiSsA~ said...

Great job! Love the pink and green together... so cute! I am sure little miss Lucy is in heaven!

PS- Those hair clipies I won from you a while ago will go to good use for a long time... I am pregnant again (a surprise) and just found out its a girl! I am going to make some more too, I just love them! :-)

RaeAnn said...

I can't tell if my awe is so impressed or so envious of your mad skills. But impressed sounds better.

Mommafo said...

That bed is perfect. What an awesome husband! My husband would have sighed, maybe cut some wood, and perhaps finished it before summer. :) Now my 8 year old is wanting a bed like that. Love the color.

Whitney said...

you are seriously a woman after my own heart. i LOVE the bed!! but i love that you just went to home depot and did your thing and voila a bed. have you seen the blog "knock off wood" this bed totally reminds of that. they have the cutest little chairs on there i want to make for rose . . someday :) i wish i had a canopy over my bed!

Lorissa said...

wowsers! I want to be Tanya when I grow up! Im usually thinking, hmmm I will whip up a sandwich, maybe an ice tea too, BUT A BED very impressive!!!!

Kelly Munns said...

um, i love it. way to make good things happen. in case i didn't make myself clear...I LOVE IT!

Queen Pea said...

um, i'll take 3 ;)

Lost In Tarnation said...

Oh it's so adorable!!!!! I love it! Great job!

Anonymous said...

We have been trying to find a bed frame for my little guy now that there is another baby on the way. I too refuse to pay a lot for a used bed frame (looking on craigslist). Everytime I go on there looking for good deals I think of you and the bargains you find! This just might be the answer to my prayers though. I think it might be easier to make a frame than pay way too much! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

So ADORABLE!!!! I want to make my son one . How tall are the legs on the bed? just so I can get an idea.
Thanks