Friday, December 04, 2009

Hi everyone! Today I am doing my first ever blog swap!
Stephanie from Somewhat Simple is here to show you a really sweet tutorial that I am going to have to try!

I have taken over her fabulous blog for the day as well! So when you are done reading her tutorial here, head over to
Somewhat Simple
to check out her amazing blog!

Here's Stephanie...



Happy Friday Everyone! I am excited that Tanya is letting me take over her blog for the day. This blog is one of my favorites, so excuse me while I get comfortable and make myself at home! My name is Stephanie and some of you might know me from my blog, Somewhat Simple.







I have a fun tutorial I'd like to share that is super simple- just the way I like it!!

First off I must give credit to my SIL who did this for a Super Saturday and brought all the materials for the girls to make at our last family reunion- she did all the cutting for me and everything... maybe that's why I thought this craft was so simple!



Here is what it looks like:






And here is how to make it:





What You Need








. Material (1 used 4 different coordinating prints.) Using pinking shears, cut your fabric into triangles. You will need 14 triangles total.


. Black Fabric (for the letters)


. Wonder Under


. Alphabet Stencils (print them off the computer in any font you'd like!)


. Double-Fold Bias Tape (I used white because that's what I had on-hand, but you can pick a fun matching color!)


. Sewing Supplies (scissors, straight pins, sewing machine etc.)





Directions





Trace the words "Happy Birthday" backwards onto the paper side of your Wonder Under. Make sure you trace them backwards, then iron the Wonder Under to your black fabric








Cut out each letter so that you have black fabric on one side and Wonder Under on the other.











Lay the letters out on top of each triangle in the order that you want your fabric so that you can get your pattern established and not mess up!








Peel the paper backing off the letter, set it on top of the fabric (black side facing up)








and then iron the letter onto each triangle.


(*there are directions that come with your Wonder Under, so follow the directions to know how long to iron each letter.)









When all your letters are ironed on, lay out your triangles spelling happy birthday with one empty triangle in the center to separate the 2 words. Its time to start pinning!




Lay each triangle inside the bias tape




Place each triangle side by side, touching the tips under the bias tape.





When you fold over the bias tape, it will look like the triangles are about 1 finger apart, as pictured above.








Pin each triangle to the bias tape





stitch it up









(I did 2 rows of a straight stitch)









And you're done!!!


Ready to use and reuse again and again for everyone's special day!





How fun and easy is that?!?





You are all officially invited to come visit me at somewhat simple. I post a new craft idea, tutorial or yummy recipe every day. Each Thursday I host a fun Link Party called "Strut Your Stuff" where you can link your creations to show off what you have been working on. And starting this Monday, you are not going to want to miss our "12 Giveaways of Christmas"- a huge giveaway with over 70 items from some pretty awesome companies!! Its going to be huge!





Tanya, thanks a bunch for all of your inspiring ideas! It has been fun swapping blogs with you!





Have a great weekend!


8 comments:

steffany said...

I love this with fabric, so many possibilities

Becca said...

Looks Good Steph!

Andrews Family said...

What a fun surprise...I loved reading both of your posts!!! I look forward to more. Thanks for being so kind in sharing your ideas with us-I love them and can't think of them on my own :) -so thanks!

Unknown said...

superfun.

Abby said...

Okay, so I love this banner idea and totally want to make some!

I was thinking though, that it might be fun to give to some of my mommy friends for Christmas, because every mom needs a birthday banner to hang on her kid's special day, right?

Is it weird to open something for Christmas that says "Happy Birthday" on it?

Chic Mommy said...

Just wanted to stop by and say I love your blog

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

I really like the fabrics you chose! I can tell she really liked the banner! Thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to stop by and say I love your blog
horny